The Graduate Public Service Scholarship supports female graduate students who are applying to or have secured an unpaid internship in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Internships in Maryland and Virginia are fine, as long as they are generally near Washington, D.C. Applicants must be current graduate students (Masters, PhD, Juris Doctorate, etc.) or have recently completed their degree (graduated no more than 10 months from the application deadline). There is no requirement regarding the applicant’s focus of study, as long as the internship focus requirements are met. We anticipate accepting four scholars each year, although this number may be adjusted according to the volume of applications received.
Generally, we ask that if you have been accepted to a graduate program but have not yet started, please apply to the Undergraduate Public Service Scholarship. If you have questions or specific circumstances that should be considered, please contact us.
Internships must be centered on government, public service, non-profit endeavors, and/or women’s rights. The intention of the scholarship is to cover the cost of living and some travel expenses for those who otherwise would not be able to afford such an opportunity. Applicants must therefore demonstrate financial need (see Overview for details).
The financial award consists of $1,500 per month (4 weeks) for the length of the individual’s internship, and will be calculated for each accepted scholar individually. Each scholar is assigned at least one mentor to lend guidance on entering and navigating her profession and Washington. Additionally, the Foundation will informally connect the scholar with others that we feel would be useful contacts outside of the assigned mentor(s), as another opportunity for networking within her chosen profession or interest.
The B.A. Rudolph Foundation is committed to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly dedicated to reaching applicants from a broad spectrum of qualified people. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- Either current graduate student (Masters, PhD, Juris Doctorate, etc.) or have recently completed their degree (graduated no more than 10 months from the application deadline)
- Applied or accepted to an internship located in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Internships in Maryland and Virginia are fine, as long as they are generally near Washington, D.C.
- Internship must be centered on public service: government, public service, non-profit endeavors, and/or women’s rights. Due to our 501(c)3 non-profit status, we cannot support internships for specific political campaigns, political action committees, the Democratic National Committee, or Republican National Committee.
- Commencing internship on or after May 1st, completing internship no later than September 30th of the same year, and lasting at least five weeks (applicants with internships starting shortly before May 1, or ending shortly after September 30 may apply, but to be considered it should be a summer internship, not spring or fall). The Foundation can fund a maximum of 12 weeks of the scholar’s internship.
- All internships must be full-time (at least 30 hours per week)
Dates and Deadlines
February 1 Begin accepting all applications
March 15 Graduate Public Service Scholarship applications are due by Wednesday, March 15, 11:59 PM, EST
April 8-9 Graduate Interviews (by phone)
April 11 Graduate Notifications
- Read the Overview of our scholarships and the application process
- The application for the Graduate Public Service Scholarship is below. The online application requires the use of a compatible web browser listed on the Overview page. Applications started in any other browser will not successfully save or submit. PLEASE NOTE: Each scholarship has its own application. If you are applying to more than one scholarship, please use the same username and password when accessing each
- Create a username and password
- You will immediately see the application
- Complete each required field, and click “Submit” at the bottom of the page
- You may complete portions of the application, save the draft, logout, and return later to complete and submit the application
- You will receive two confirmation emails: the first when your application form has been submitted, and the second when we have received both letters of recommendation
Beginning February 1, click HERE to apply now or log in to your application.