September 1st, 2018

WORDS TO LIVE BY…

“What is fundamentally beautiful is compassion for yourself and those around you. That kind of beauty inflames the heart and enchants the soul.”

-Lupita Nyong’o

Women Who… COACH FOOTBALL

Chenell Tillman-Brooks, left, and Callie Brownson will be full members of the coaching staff for the first two weeks of preseason camp.

(Dartmouth hires two women as coaching interns, a rare move in college football, USA Today)

Women Who… FACE SEXISM

White women born in parts of the United States where sexist attitudes are more prevalent grow up to earn less and to work less than women born elsewhere, relative to men born in those same states, new economic research shows.

(How Sexism Follows Women From the Cradle to the Workplace, NY Times)

 

Women Who… RUN FOR OFFICE

The majority leaders in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature are women. Jennifer Williamson, the woman who leads the Democrats in the state House of Representatives, campaigned in Portland last week.

(Political Year of the Woman? Been There, Done That, Oregon Says, NY Times) 

Women Who…  CHANGE HISTORY

Ruby Hernandez on Aug. 28 became the first female chief deputy in the more than 350-year history of the Baltimore County Sheriff’s Office.

(First woman reaches top merit rank in Balto. Co. sheriff’s office, Baltimore Sun)

Women Who… WIN THE BREAD

As of 2015, approximately 64 percent of women were acting as breadwinners or co-breadwinners in their families, according to a study from the Center for American Progress. Of those women, 37 percent are married and out-earning their husbands, while single mothers make up the remaining 63 percent.

(Women are now 42% of U.S. breadwinners — but also ‘underestimate the costs of motherhood’, Yahoo Finance)

 

 

Leave a Reply